Sunday, June 23, 2013

Poulets Grillés à la Diable, Salade Niçoise, and Mousseline au Chocolat

In French, diable means “devil,” but I’ve also heard that à la diable means “any which way.” Regardless, this dish was devilishly good. The recipe calls for a small chicken quartered. The chicken ended up in four pieces, but one future goal of mine is to discover a more graceful way of dismembering a whole chicken… The chicken pieces were first broiled and basted with butter for ten minutes on each side. Then, a lovely slathering of a mustard dip comprised of Dijon, shallots, herbs, pepper, and the basting fat was applied to each side of the chicken and the pieces were rolled in bread crumbs. The recipe calls for fresh bread crumbs, but I’m always looking for ways to using my left over matzo meal from Passover. I was afraid that the stale matzo crumbs (or maybe they just tasted stale because it is matzo – it’s often hard to tell) would dry the chicken, but this was absolutely not the case. Another 20 minutes under a low broil and basting every few minutes, and the chicken was finished. Compared to the whole roasted chicken I prepared a few weeks ago, this recipe was very easy and efficient. The meat was incredibly juicy and tender and the extra mustard made an excellent dipping sauce. Julia and the other authors of MAFC emphasize that this dish is flexible as it can be prepared ahead of time or eaten cold.
Poulets Grillés à la Diable
I only spent about three hours in Nice one time between trains on the way to Italy, so I have no idea what a true salad in Nice is like. I’ve had Salade Niçoise once or twice in the U.S. and love this chunky alternative to most American salads. In theory, it looks like a simple dish with large pieces of a few vegetables, some tuna, and olives strewn atop, but there are several steps and cooking techniques used in this preparation so it took some time. The recipe from MAFC calls for boiled potatoes which are sliced and layered at the bottom of the serving dish and drizzled with a vermouth and stock mixture until the liquid is absorbed. Then the potatoes are seasoned with a vinegar, mustard, and oil dressing and topped with parsley. The potato dish at this point constitutes Julia’s Pommes de Terre à l’Huile (French potato salad). The Niçoise salad requires the arrangement of Boston lettuce leaves around the outside of the bowl and following on top of the potatoes: blanched green beans, large slices of tomatoes, and two boiled eggs quartered. The recipe gains its Mediterranean flair with chunks of canned tuna, olives (I used kalamata olives), and anchovies. I knew my guests were not terribly fond of anchovies so those were served on the side. Finally, the whole salad got another sprinkle of vinaigrette with herbs (I had some fresh basil from my garden). The resulting salad is heaping and attractive with many layers and colors. While there are a number of steps that go into this salad, the most difficult part was trying to serve it from the bowl without completely falling apart! As an avid salad eater, this is absolutely a dish I will make again in the future.

The potatoes are at the bottom I promise!

You can see the anchovies on the salad and mustard sauce at the back.

While the chicken and salad were excellent, the real tour de force for this week was the Mousseline au Chocolat. A number of years ago, I had dinner at with a friend at his grandmother’s house and she made chocolate mousse served from martini glasses. I thought this was such a classy and creative idea that I have wanted to try it ever since. Because the recipe calls for refrigeration for several hours, I made the dish the night before, which was a good idea because it was quite a process. The most difficult aspect of this dish was that I did not have the correct kitchen equipment for some of the steps and had to improvise a bit. For instance, metal bowls would have been preferable for melting the chocolate and heating the egg yolks, but I had to substitute glass and a large ceramic bowl for a few steps.

Equipment aside, first egg yolks, sugar, and orange liqueur are beaten together until pale yellow and thickened. I then continued to beat the eggs over a pan of simmering water until it becomes foamy and hot. Then, it is beaten over cold water until it is cooled and thickened to mayonnaise consistency. Next, the recipe calls for semi-sweet baking chocolate to be melted with a few table spoons of coffee over a double boiler. The authors call for a stick and half of butter to be melted with the chocolate, but I made the decision to use a third of the recommended amount and the final product was still perfectly rich and creamy. As a side note, I love how shiny chocolate becomes with the addition of butter! After the chocolate is mixed with the egg yolks, the third step is to beat together egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks are formed. The whites are then gently folded into the rest of the batter to create the fluffy mousse consistency. I also love the light squishing sound that egg yolks make when they are folded! Finally, I plated the mousse into martini glasses and refrigerated overnight. To serve, I beat some whipped cream with a dash of vanilla extract and placed a dollop on each dessert.



My friends Rachel and Jaime joined me for this meal. Rachel brought strawberries which were a lovely accompaniment to the mousse (see below). We decided that the mousse was extraordinary and perhaps better than many other pleasures.  Each of these dishes was fabulous individually and will definitely make reappearances in my kitchen in the future.  


In regards to the photography, an earlier dinner was conducive to more natural light, but I still think I need to invest in a tripod. I've decided that of the food I've made so far chicken is the most difficult to photograph and make it look attractive. Something about brown lumps that just don't show up well in pictures. 

Be prepared for more poultry next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment