Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sauté de Boeuf à la Parisienne

"This sauté of beef is good to know about if you have to entertain important guests in a hurry." How right you are, Julia! While she says it can be prepared in 30 minutes or less, it took me an hour and a half but was well worth the time and effort. The dish includes slices of filet of beef browned on the outside and accompanied by browned mushrooms and shallots in a creamy broth sauce. It is described as "a French version of beef Stroganoff," but it was much better than any Stroganoff I've ever had.

The authors of MAFC give exact directions on browning mushrooms that I found very helpful and turned out to be delicious! The tricks of sautéing and browning that I am learning are to make sure that the pan and oil are hot before adding food, dab the ingredients very dry, and do not to crowd the pan. I mentioned in my previous post that my hesitance to use the massive quantities of butter called for in the recipes was interfering with the goal of following the recipes exactly. I decided this week to follow my gut (no pun intended) and not feel guilty for using a reduced amount of the directed butter quantities. This decision was first applied to the mushroom and shallot sauté that was perfectly delectable with one instead of two tablespoons of butter. The beef was also browned in a similar fashion, but I thought it turned out a little tough. While it was still rosey on the inside, I wondered if I cooked it too long or on too high of heat.

Besides being very proud of the result of the mushrooms, the sauce for the beef dish was also spectacular. Vermouth, beef stock, whipping cream, and cornstarch were all that were needed to tie together the beef and mushrooms into a rich and flavorful compilation. French cooking is noted for its sauces and this one was outstanding!
Beautiful mushroom and beef sauté oozing with a creamy sauce.
Based on the authors' recommendations, I also served Pommes de Terre Parisiennes and Haricots Verts à la Maȋtre d’Hȏtel. The cute little Dutch potatoes were peeled into little balls and browned (also in much less of the called for oil) for 20 minutes on the stove top and then tossed with parsley. This was my second favorite dish in the meal - slightly crisped exterior with a perfect give to the inside. I have always been a lover of potatoes but cooking these Dutch potatoes was new to me, although this certainly will not be the last time I make them! As far as the green beans, I thought I was on the right track in following the MAFC directions for blanching, but I think they ended up slightly over cooked. Furthermore, per the recipe, I tossed them in a hot saucepan with a dab of butter, lemon juice, and parsley before serving and they became browned in places and did not keep their bright green color. The flavor was fine, but they did not have the texture I was hoping for. More work to be done with learning blanching techniques!

Look at those glistening potatoes!
My "important guests" for the week were Caroline, Scott, and Ernest. Ernest brought a spinach salad to add crunch to the plate with a lovely Asian Sesame dressing. Caroline and Scott brought the (much needed) wine and fresh fruit to finish the meal. I had also made an orange cake, not from MAFC, and it was a flop - we won't go into that... Overall, this meal with two dishes of Parisian influence was the perfect setting for my friends and I to discuss Caroline and Scott's upcoming honeymoon to the City of Lights and Love! I can only hope that my cooking comes a little close to the wonderful food they will be having. However, Ernest in all his humbleness, reminded us that even simple road trips can create the most memorable time when you are with the one you love. 

There was only a little of the Sauté de Boeuf and sauce left over after we had had our fill. I used it the next day to make this fabulous pasta dish for lunch. There may or may not have been plate licking...

Just added linguini!
As promised, I worked on my photography skills this week. I've still got a ways to go to get good "bokeh," but I think the photos are much improved with more thought to lighting. The first two photos were taken in the evening with a lamp to light the food. The pasta dish was photographed near the kitchen window mid-day and has the wonderful natural lighting effect. 

Next week, the blog goes on the road! Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment